04 November 2008

It's the holidays: piss off

The brief Times Holiday Movies section, which has lots of overlap from the Fall Movies section a couple of months ago. As then, I've stripped Dave Kehr's comments down to a fair-use sampling, but herewith links to his full wrap-up, divided into November and December/January.

As usual, I'm joined by Jennie Tonic.
November 5
November 7
November 12
November 13
  • Dinner with the President: A Nation's Journey--I should really be interested, I suppose, in "a documentary portrait of contemporary Pakistan, as a country divided by class, religion and cultural ambitions"; I mean, jeez, it's probably the most important place in the world right now; seriously, get interested! And yet, soft 3. 3.
November 14
November 19
November 21
  • Nerakhoon (The betrayal)--3. 4 (but definite, because of NY immigrant).
  • Bolt--3. 1.
  • I Can't Think Straight--Lesbian Romeo and Juliet in London; hopeful 3, despite horrible pun of title. 4.
  • Lake City--3. 3.
  • Twilight--OK, Dr. Debs: you've persuaded me (it certainly wasn't the Times story) to come up to 3. 2.
  • Were the World Mine--OK, maybe this is more than fair use, but I must quote Kehr at length: "Cast as Puck in a production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, a gay high school student discovers the recipe for Shakespeare’s love potion and uses it to spread gender confusion throughout his conservative small town"; can you say "either fabulous or fabulously bad"? A hoping-against-hope 3. 3; intriguing.
November 26
November 28
  • Antarctica--Just a short hop from Australia. Except, of course, that that looks relentless hetero, while this is "a comedy about a brother and sister, both gay, who try to resolve their romantic conflicts with the aid and advice of an overbearing mother, played by the drag performer Noam Huberman under his stage name, Miss Laila Carry." Well, gotta be a better mom than Travolta; 3. 3.
  • Rome & Jewel--Gave this a Shakespearean 3 earlier, but now that I've decided to do for Romeo and Juliet this winter what I did for Hamlet last, 5. 3.
December 3
December 5
December 10
December 11
  • Herbert--"Postmodernist comedy" with a paranormal twist; sure: 4. 3; interesting.
December 12
December 17
December 19
December 24
December 25
December 26
December 31
  • Defiance--As I've carped repeatedly, don't like the trailer; 3. 3+.
  • Good--Hopeful 4; I do like the Viggster. 3+; so 2009 is going to be the Year Against Nazis? Never could have happened pre-Obama.
January 9
January 16

3 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

Christ. I suppose we will need the escapism apres Election, but what a lot of crap. Thanks for the nudge up on Twilight. It will probably suck, but maybe Hardwicke will actually get it right.

cheeseblab said...

Yeah, I liked Thirteen--well, perhaps "was impressed by" is more accurate than "liked"--so I'm willing to keep an open mind/vein.

Anonymous said...

OK, on Repo!, I've seen the trailer.

On the Pakistan thing: yes, exactly. If it's important news about Pakistan, put it in the Times or the NYer and I'll read it; that's not what I go to movies for.

Rev Road: Have you seen trailer? It just looks so miserable.

Blart: No, I'll save the trailer for a delightful surprise later!