18 October 2008

Step 8

Rachel Getting Married

Crit

I could swear I recently saw something else in which the protagonist asks the same key question that Anne Hathaway's Kym asks here (except that in the other one it was an issue of age, not impairment), but having looked back a couple of months, I haven't been able to refresh my memory.

Anyway, the widespread suspicion that this would be Hathaway's breakthrough seems well founded, and the film itself, though there are a few moments that seem manufactured to fit the requirements of the story, is one of the best of the year, and certainly one of the most emotionally intense. First I've seen Debra Winger since 1993's Shadowlands, and I hadn't realized how much I'd missed her.

Trailers

  • Bride Wars--Another Anne Hathaway/wedding movie, but this looks like lotsa catfight clichés.

5 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

for our first official "dates" KH and I went to the movies. She picked Seven. I picked How to make an American Quilt. The rest, as they say, was history.

Was thinking of using W as leverage against Rachel's Getting Married in order to secure KH's presence at latter film. Will not let her read this review until after we return, although it sounds spot on to me.

cheeseblab said...

Seven's pretty despicable, but it has one of the best opening credits sequences I've seen since Saul Bass died.

As for Quilt, well, . . . I didn't have anyone to coerce me into seeing that . . .

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be a Kym-like party pooper, but I didn't love it. I liked it, but everyone was dressed so well, so attractive and stylish and talented and charming, that it didn't seem real to me. (The rehab place must have been that expensive celebrity one in CT whose name I can't recall [where's my People magazine?], in order for them to staff a hairstylist to get Hathaway's hair just so.)

cheeseblab said...

I believe you're referring to Silver Hill in New Canaan; just noticed the other day that I still have it in my address book, from when I had a celebrity friend there.

Not shocked that you didn't love it, though it's decent of you not to cheap-shot the very spelling of "Kym." Anyway, I can't really care about any other movies right now, what w/ Synecdoche, which I'm already considering the best film of the year, out there just out of reach. I'm counting on you deciding what you think of it by the time I actually get to see it. (They're probably screening it at Silver Hill tonight.)

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not disappointed in Synecdoche; I wouldn't want to give that impression. It's certainly got some genius in it.