10 October 2008

Thank you, Joe Lieberman

Recount

(2008)

OK, look: I know that only a half-dozen or so people ever read this, and seriously, I don't mind. But if you know anyone in Florida, or anyone in Ohio, or anyone in Virginia, or anyone in Indiana, or Colorado, or Missouri, or Nevada, please, forward them this, and tell them that they can ignore all the film-crit shit but just read the next four paragraphs:

Vote.

Vote carefully.

No, really: it's not as simple as it ought to be: read the instructions. Carefully. Look at the ballot. Carefully. Then vote. Then double-check your vote before you pull the lever or whatever you have to do to finalize it (and yes, I hate the word "finalize," but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for this cause).

Thank you, and God or Krishna or whatever bless America, and save us from ourselves.

Quite a film, not least because, dammit, I knew how it was going to turn out (put it top-of-queue, in fact, as the start of my pre-Halloween horror-film stretch), and yet much of it was exhilarating, and even more of it was funny. Until it wasn't.

Everyone is wonderful, but two actors merit special mention: Laura Dern as Katherine Harris made it impossible for me not to think of glue-huffing Citizen Ruth, and Tom Wilkinson as James Baker made it impossible for me not to think of the last HBO product I saw him in, when he was Benjamin Franklin.

And another thing: as fucked as the 2000 election may have been, at least it kept that fucking pigfucker Joe Lieberman the fuck away from the White House.

No comments: