12 October 2008

Sympathy for the devil worshiper

The Seventh Victim

(1943)

Oh, this film makes no sense at all--a naïf, a missing sister, a shrink, a lover, a poet, a murder, and a coven . . . and yet, the dream logic is perfect, perfectly creepy, perfectly sad, perfectly haunting--as is the face, bizarrely framed in a Cleopatra-esque helmet of black hair, of B-movie veteran Jean Brooks. Classic Val Lewton. Also notable for the leads: Kim Hunter in her first film and a pre-Beaver Hugh Beaumont.

2 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

Gotta get me this. BTW, we are seeing Lon Cheney as Phantom on the big screen downtown, with live organ music accompaniment. We have an extra ticket. Wanna come with us?

cheeseblab said...

Golly, thanks for the offer--unfortunately (well, not so much), when I read this I was sitting in the lobby of the Hotel Chelsea, where I was staying with my brother and two cousins in a suite whose 23rd Street balcony was so close to the famous sign that I could have bull's-eyed the O with my gin & tonic's lime wedge. Though I didn't, of course.