20 September 2008

Burn after blogging

Updated w/ JT's prevacation-hurried, bare-bones numbers.

Ah, Dave Kehr's seasonal preview blurbs in the Times--and this time I am able to find them online, which saves me a lot of work but presents me with an ethical dilemma. Now, granted, my reproducing Kehr's work in full on a blog viewed by maybe a half-dozen people, most of whom get the Times already, is not going to affect circulation. But I'm pretty prickly about copyright issues, being in a biz that rather depends on the copyright.

So while I'll gleefully copy & paste titles and include some cast & crew info (which is of course in the public domain), if you want to read Kehr's blurbs, you're gonna have to go to the Times site and deal with the ads there: they're divided by month, September, October, November, and December.

Looks like a fairly lackluster season, frankly. Where's all the Oscar® fodder? As with last time, I'm in red, Jennie Tonic (to come; check back later) in green.

September, open
September 11
September 12
September 17
September 18

September 19

September 22

September 24

September 26

October 1

October 3

Christ, all that will have opened by the time I get back. Very unlikely I'll get to more than 3 or 4 of those.

October 8

October 10

October 15

October 17

October 22

October 24

October 29

October 31

November 5
November 7
November 8
  • Dear Pyongyang--Another one that has been on the festival circuit for a while, this one since 2005; 3. 3.
November 14
November 19
  • Harvard Beats Yale 29-29--It was the headline in the local paper, after the Hated Despised Crimson rallied from 16 points down in the last minute to tie. I wasn't here then, of course, but know about it because I edited the autobiography of the longtime Yale coach Carm Cozza. The rare 5 for a film whose makers I know nothing of (though there's apparantly an interview with a lineman named Jones). 3.
November 21
November 26
November 28
December 3
  • Staub (Dust)--As a Mets fan who actually got to see Le Grand Orange throw out the first pitch at a game at Shea during this, the stadium's farewell season, I naturally prefer the German title of this documentary; still, 3. 3-.
December 5

December 10

December 12
December 19
December 24

December 25
  • Bedtime Stories--Will this be my Lonely-Pseudojew-on-Christmas lunchtime movie, ahead of the Chinese carryout for dinner? Uh . . . maybe: wistful 3. 3.
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button--This looks likelier, especially given how disappointed I was with the similarly themed novel, The Confessions of Max Tivoli. 3.
  • Hurricane Season--As Kehr asks, "What’s the holiday season without an inspirational sports movie?" Doubtful 3. 2.
  • Marley & Me--And an inspirational dog movie, too! Doubtful 3, though I'm darned glad Owen Wilson will be around for the premiere. 3+ (because, dogs).
  • The Spirit--As my son-in-law put it, I enjoyed Sin City, but I never need to see another film like it; despite all the promised cleavage, a flaccid 3. 3.

December 26

Sometime in December, but omitted from the Times blurbs

6 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

Oh, where to begin.

It all goes downhill at a clip after Burn After Reading, doesn't it? (I would watch Tilda and John M. chew gum on a split screen, though)Maybe that's the motto for the entire season?

The Women. The original: amazing. This cast? Hmmm. They are going to balls this up, for sure.

Appaloosa. Wait, didn't we last see this story in Tennessee after the Civil War, also with Renee Zellweger, a widow, and guns? Am confused.

The Duchess. Must see to witness what I suspect will be horrifying train wreck in which Fiennes (from trailer) appears to combine his character from The English Patient with Lord Voldemort. Plus, La Keira is not ideally suited to playing corseted roles.

Ghost Town: So this is Ghost, right? With Ricky instead of Whoopi?

Blindness: please let the movie be as spooky as the trailer, but somehow I doubt it.

Nights in Rodanthe: deja vu all over again. Under the Tuscan Sun with a Pretty Woman and The Notebook?

Beverly Hills Chihuahua. No comment, except to say I have two dachshunds should anyone want to make San Marino Dachshunds.

Rachel Getting Married: it would be wonderful to actually discover Hathaway can do more than fall off high heels and look surprised, so I hope you are right.

The Secret Life of Bees: Feel that Bettany is the only hope for this one.

But I am glad to know about Mary, which does look wonderful. Binoche. I hated the English Patient (see above) but have been known to get my Binoche fix by watching Chocolat, which tells you how sad I am.

cheeseblab said...

A. O. Scott rev. suggests that your fears for The Women were well founded; that's off my to-do list now, along w/, sadly, the De Niro-Pacino thing.

Re Ralph-pronounced-Rafe: Exactly! I knew that glower looked familiar! It's The Glower That Must Not Be Named! As for corsets, is anyone ideally suited? (By the way, pun intended?) But she has shown her period-piece chops; relative to, say, Scarlett Johanssen, what she sacrifices in décolletage, she more than earns back in persuasive presence. My concern is that there's no there to be present (or past) in.

Haven't seen more than TV bits of Ghost (yeah, I know), but I stand by my source: call it The Sixth Nonsense.

Saw Chocolat for free a few International Festivals of Arts and Ideas ago. Did not feel overcharged. My daughter loves it, though.

Dr. Debs said...

In re: well-suited to corsets. Jennifer Ehle is well-suited. Helen Mirren is well-suited. In general, British actresses who aren't also stick-insects look less like they are drowning in a sea of costuming than extremely underweight actresses from any nation who are attempting to look like they lived as aristocrats (so much beef, so much claret) in the 18th century.

Too bad about the women but I can't say I'm surprised. Oh, except Annette Bening is actually also corset-worthy.

Anonymous said...

Ah, so you don't find "Quantum of Solace" so ridiculous as to be delightful? Well, I do.

I forgot to add Che: of course, a 5 cubed for me, too.

Dr. Debs said...

A note about Twilight (rated 2 by BOTH of you): The movie will not be as good as the book. I can say this with absolute authority having been forced to read said book by 11 year old niece. This led to hysterical pursuit of book 2 in Puerto Vallarta when book 1 was finished and complicated negotians a la famiglia about who got to keep book 1 for the remainder of the vacation.

However, it will make more money than anything else this year, and we won't see another move that makes so much $ until Harry Potter in the spring. The reason we're actually seeing Twilight on 11/21 and not 12/10 is because Potter got pushed to spring.

And it might be interesting to see if Robert Pattison is as clever as he thinks he is and sometimes seems to actually be. He's just the "gorgeous dead boy" in HPotter, but it he doesn't fall into a David Bowie-like trap of vampiric stupor and glowering it could be that we are seeing another seriously good actor in the making.

cheeseblab said...

Funny you should mention that: on Friday I was talking to a colleague who tries to keep up w/ her niece's reading, and not only did she mention having Twilight on her list, but she said she'd mentioned it (w/ some embarrassment) to our boss and the senior member of the department, and was stunned to discover that both not only had read it but loved it.