01 September 2008

I doubt some foul play

Hamlet 2

Crit

As I feared, and as all had reported, this is not the funniest film since The Boss of It All. It's more like the funniest film since Pineapple Express. Like that misguided effort, it has its bellylaughs--the "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" musical number is a highlight, Amy Poehler steals the first and last scenes she appears in as a sewer-mouthed ACLU lawyer, and the Elisabeth Shue bit approaches genius--but Steve Coogan deserves better, and Catherine Keener has never been so wasted (dramatically, I mean; though if she needed drugs or alcohol to get her through her days on the set, who could blame her?).
Trailers

  • Momma's Man--Looks oh, so indy earnest, but I was already a 4 on it based on Times review, so if it comes, clearly I'm there; might have included it in my M5 had it not been showing at the Angelika, thus signaling likelihood of downtown showing.

No comments: