20 September 2008

I sneeze dead people

Ghost Town

Crit
OK, you know me: I'm a sucker for a redemption tales; three of my annuals are classic redemptions, and Casablanca has a big redemption element. So you don't have to show me Groundhog Day, say, to get me doing the requisite laughing and weeping that get me on your side.
This isn't Groundhog Day, but that's its clearest thematic forebear (The Sixth Sense is its plotfather), and it does its ancestors proud. And I'm not quite ready, as was Stephen Holden in his Times review, to canonize Ricky Gervais, Téa Leoni, and Greg Kinnear as screwball heirs of Grant and Arthur and Lombard and the like, but Gervais is the funniest Brit in entertainment today, and the film really comes alive (as it were) with the sound of the first laughs Gervais's Dr. Pincus succeeds in drawing from Leoni. In other words, you may not still be watching this in twenty years, but you'll have plenty of fun with it this week.

Oh, meant to say also: as loving a portrait of Manhattan, especially the Upper East Side, as we've seen for a while--except that the MTA bus drivers union will be calling for a boycott.
Trailers
  • The Soloist--We've seen this one before, haven't we (Shine via Resurrecting the Champ)? Still: Downey and Foxx earn it some slack.
  • W.--I believe this is the first time I've seen the trailer on the big screen, though I did sneak a peek on my computer when somebody at work sent me a link. I'm a little concerned that Oliver Stone's trashing of the bozo in chief might be too over-the-top even for me . . . no, I'm not, really.
  • Revolutionary Road--Looks awfully soapy, but it's hard to imagine missing it.
  • Fourth time for Morning Light; opens in 4 weeks.

  • No comments: