19 October 2014

Rubik's cube

Låt den rätte komma in (Let the right one in)

(2008)
Since screening this last Halloween season, I've read the novel on which is based, from which I learned that:
  • the title is lifted from a Morrissey song;
  • novelist John Ajvide Lindqvist tells a story well, if not with any stylistic flair (yeah, the translator might be at fault, but I doubt it);
  • director Tomas Alfredson turned a long, detailed novel into a masterfully economical film, whose only arguably critical omission
  • is hinted at a few times, most graphically in perhaps the film's oddest visual quarter of a second (necessarily missing from the mostly faithful and perfectly-adequate-if-you-just-refuse-to-read-subtitles U.S. remake Let Me In).
Glad I read it, and when the sequel novella Let the Old Dreams Die comes to the States in paper, I'll be glad to learn what happens to Oskar and Eli after the elopement that concludes this story, but the novel is serviceable prose; this film is devastatingly beautiful poetry, and I'll continue to return to it regularly.

No comments: