19 October 2013

Endless love

A Halloween-season supernatural romance double feature.

Wristcutters: A Love Story

(2009)
This:
  • has one of the wittiest fantasy premises I've ever encountered (though credit for that goes to the novel it's based on, Kneller's Happy Campers)
  • is one of the best Wizard of Oz films I know;
  • is one of the best romantic comedies of the millennium to date;
  • is the best suicide comedy imaginable;
  • is one of my all-time favorite road movies;
  • is one of my all-time favorite buddy movies;
  • has a terrific soundtrack, which introduced me to Gogol Bordello;
  • [spoiler alert] makes me weep happy tears at the end.
I've been plugging this film since I first saw it, and as far as I know, I've converted only my daughter. Seriously, check this out. A smart, funny, sweet, weird, unique film.


Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In)

(2008)
This:
  • is my favorite vampire movie, by a couple orders of magnitude;
  • is my favorite film about preadolescent (with an asterisk) love;
  • has the best mass-transit getaway final scene at least since The Graduate, though it must be said that while that film's final scene is brilliant for its ambiguity regarding the future of an oddly matched pair, there's no ambiguity in this final scene: we've already seen this couple's future.
Hard to imagine a more satisfying seasonal twin bill.

No comments: