13 February 2009

Underground

Wristcutters: A Love Story

(2006)
Have we ever discussed my movie classification system? Well, there are two kinds of movies: Wizard of Oz movies and not-Wizard of Oz Movies. If you'd like me to elaborate, too bad: I'm not going to.

This is one of the best, one of the most explicit, and one of the most exuberant WoO movies since, oh, say, After Hours (1985). It was my favorite offbeat film of 2007 (year of NYC theatrical release), and I'm pleased to discover that not only was I right in that judgment, but it is simply a terrific film even without any adjectives to limit the field. Look, if you're one of the half-dozen or so people who read this, then you're also one of the half-dozen or so people who trust my judgment: if you haven't seen this film, rent it immediately (or hell, if you really trust me, go ahead and buy it), and then after you watch it and confirm my judgment, tell all your friends with similarly quirky tastes about it. 'Cause it deserves to be known a lot more widely than it is.

Bizarre marketing note: the distributor seems to think that because this is a comedy about the afterlife for suicide victims, all the trailers on the disc should be for horror films.

No comments: