08 February 2009

Don't drive angry

Groundhog Day

(1993)
Funny: with the Verona project and the Super Bowl making it impossible to watch this right before the Day, I actually considered giving it a miss this year. And funny: even though I'd been singing "You Don't Know Me" in anticipation, as soon as the first bars broke, so did I, into the same emotional jelly as every year.

OK, but something that's not just about my psychic flimsiness: if you're planning to write something that leans on the paranormal, remember: introduce one implausibility--your protagonist waking up a huge cockroach, say, or living the same day repeatedly--but then, having made us buy into that implausibility, make everything happen as it would under those circumstances. Play by those rules, and we're with you.

Oh, and yes, Dr. Debs: the title of the post is for you.

2 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

You have no idea how much I needed this reminder that life has its own ridiculous rewards. Stuck as I am in an endless rota of bureaucratic tasks, "don't drive angry" takes on new meaning.

Am now programming my iPod so that I can wake to the sounds of Sonny and Cher tomorrow.

And remember..."You gotta check your mirrors, just the side of your eye."

cheeseblab said...

Not bad for a quadruped.