12 October 2014

Too true to tell

Kill the Messenger

Crit
You know me, Al: a sucker for a good journalism story, or maybe even one that's not all that good. I'm thinking about watching All the President's Men tonight, or maybe Broadcast News, and I'm wondering how much longer I have to wait for the second-season disks of The Newsroom.

And this was up to my not-particularly-exacting standards for a journalism flick: a reporter who values the story more than anything except, maybe, his family; a story whose enormity gets away from him; and the obsession that makes the heroism tragic. 

Clichés? Hey, this is journalism, not literature. Take your critical standards somewhere where they matter.
Trailers
Thought I sensed a theme here. First up was
  • Blackhat--followed by
  • Black Sea--and then my second look at The Imitation Game, a Black Bear production. But then came
  • Inherent Vice--which certainly has an element of black comedy about it, but that's a stretch, and then
  • John Wick--which is comic book nourish, but I'm clearly grasping at straws now.

No comments: