04 October 2014

Chasing Amy

Gone Girl

Crit
Ah, David Fincher--dude can tell a circuitous, fucked-up story, though in this case a lot of credit must go to Gillian Flynn, who wrote the screenplay based on her own novel. Which makes the student of narrative in me wonder whether the story is structured the same there, because the structure of the film is perfect, except for not knowing where to end.

Not a whole lot nonspoilerish I can say except that almost nothing is as it seems. Also, I was thinking of another recent film that this plot reminds me of, which I thought was directed by either Fincher or Steven Soderbergh, but IMDb tells me I've misremembered that, and I can't even remember the title of the film, so no spoiler worries there. Oh, wait: I'm wrong again: it was Soderbergh, so don't click here if you don't want to be reminded of the film I'm thinking of.

Interesting pair of coincidences re what I saw yesterday: adult boy-girl twins at the center of each, and Boyd Holbrook appears as a skeevily sexy dude in each.

No comments: