07 January 2012

It's only a paper moon

eXistenZ

(1999)
Felt like another hit of Jennifer Jason Leigh after last night's flick, another shot of David Cronenberg after last week's A Dangerous Method, and, I guess, another dose of York Square nostalgia, also after last night's.

I commented last night that I was surprised by how little of Kansas City I remembered from my first screening, and tonight I was even more surprised, because I felt like I remembered this one pretty well. What I did remember--a recollection so vivid that it overpowered the rest, I guess--was the weird Cronenbergian sexual penetration-as-game participation trope. But there's a lot beyond that that's weird and interesting, in a thoroughly comic booky nonsensical way. Which I mean as a compliment, incidentally.

Got this as part of a 3-day freebie of Showtime's group of channels.

No comments: