01 January 2012

Career opportunities

Sleeping Beauty

Crit
Hey, wait a minute: this isn't the scary Disney movie of my youth! In fact, while I haven't seen the entire Disney oeuvre, I'm pretty sure none of his heroines ever made money by taking a soporific and lying naked in bed while creepy old men do almost whatever they wish ("We have one rule," says the not-particularly-wicked [contextually speaking] queen of the institution: "no penetration.") So as I say, it's not a scary Disney movie, but it's pretty scary nonetheless, not least in its presentation of a college student who is on the one hand so desperate for money that she works a couple of conventional jobs, assists in a lab experiment that provides the film's first stomach-churning unpleasantness, and apparently (we see no money exchanged, but I pray she wouldn't fuck such awful boors for free) turns straightforward tricks, but on the other hand has such contempt for that money that she burns a $100 (Aussie) note from her first big payday from the Eyes Wide Shut-type house.

The film's main value for me was in illustrating that while I'm of an age where I have some regrets about various opportunities that never presented themselves to me, at lest I don't feel bad about not having the kind of money that would make it possible for me to slaver over a beautiful naked zombie. I'm not as sick a fuck as I might be!

No comments: