21 January 2012

Unrevolutionary

Cairo Time

(2010)
My favorite film of 2010 holds up perfectly, and while it's impossible to watch it today without thinking of what has happened in and to that strange, beautiful, chaotic city in the past year--the hope, the doubt, the trepidation--it's surprising how little that changes here.

It's also surprising to be reminded how much this is a mystery, building toward resolution of the question of how Juliette will and will not betray her husband with Tariq. Knowing the answer to that did change the film: change, but not damage.

The first time I saw this, I finally resolved that My Future Wife Patricia Clarkson has the best face in the movies today, and not only did a second viewing confirm that opinion, but it made me realize that I'd give up all my other future wives to see that face daily henceforth.

No comments: