14 January 2012

A Philadelphia/Delray Beach story

In Her Shoes

(2005)
I believe I saw a sneak preview of this, and here was my initial reaction:
Guaranteed Oscar nominations (and all well deserved) for the film, Hanson, and Collette, and I’m giving the Best Supporting Actress statuette right now to Shirley MacLaine—and I say that as someone who has never been a Shirley MacLaine fan. Diaz is also excellent, but the Academy will never take seriously someone who appears in so much of the film in panties and T-shirt.
None of that happened, of course (well, except for the Academy not taking Diaz seriously), and having screened it for the second time since, I'm still at a loss to explain why: it is a touching portrait of sisterhood, with its mutual love and mutual jealousy, and a painfully real portrayal of one sister's belated growing up and of both sisters' rocky road to self-love. And the story of reunion with their lost grandmother, which could easily have seemed extraneous, finds a place in the heart of everything. One of my favorite films of the millennium. What the hell did win Oscars that year? Oh, please. The supporting actress field was solid 1 through 5, but the winner was the least impressive of the nominees to me, and I'd put MacLaine's performance up against any of them. Best Actress, on the other hand, was a bit of a joke: with the possible exception of Felicity Huffman, Colette was better than any of them. Best Picture, meanwhile, went to what got my award for Most Overrated. Shoes was definitely robbed.

No comments: