27 December 2011

Valkyrie

A Dangerous Method

Crit
Distractions for my never-analyzed and not-recently-therapied psyche:
  • Thoughts of the popular Freud action figure.
  • Aragorn's surprising career change.
  • The cigar.
  • Keira Knightley's Russian accent.
  • Keira Knightly's bustier.
  • The simulated violence perpetrated on Knightley's character, Sabina Spielrein, Jung's patient > colleague > lover, as a creepy prelude to the actual violence I'll see momentarily perpetrated on Lisbeth Salander.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Crit
OK, getting older does have a few advantages; for example, even though I saw the original less than 20 months ago, all of the critical plot twists were almost brand new again. Not sure this was really necessary, but Fincher, Mara, and Craig make a revisit worthwhile. One thing I was very pleased to see: that they didn't think it necessary to move it from Sweden, to set it, say, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. One thing I could have done without (spoiler alert!): Lisbeth's conventional heartbreak at the end--was that in the Swedish film or the novel?
Trailers
  • The Iron Lady--I'd seen the teaser several times, but this is the first full (overfull, very long) trailer I've seen, and it filled me with trepidation: am I still going to be able to despise Margaret Thatcher once I've spent two hours with her as portrayed by Meryl Streep?
  • Contraband--Yet another you've-got-to-come-back-into-the-outlaw-life-lest-we-kill-your-wife-and-kid pix. Speaking of unnecessary.
  • Rock of Ages--Possible: anything that has Alec Baldwin as a fat old club manager and Catherine Zeta-Jones doing musical numbers can't be all bad.
  • Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance--Oh, for the love of god, someone please put a stop to Nic Cage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was definitely in the novel, but I don't think it was in the Swedish movie, but I, like you, can't remember. I was hoping to get the Swedish DVDs for Christmas but it looks like I'll have to wait to find out the answer to this.