14 January 2011

The one you shouldn't hurt at all

Blue Valentine

Crit
So if Einstein was right, we all fall in love and break apart simultaneously, except that if time is a fiction, so is simultaneity, I guess. Which is just a dumb joke to distance me from the emotional gut-kicking administered by this time warp of love, omega to alpha. "I feel bruised," said one of my after-work movie posse, and yeah, I can get behind that. Beautifully structured, sensitively shot, and miraculously acted by Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling, it is without a doubt one of the best films I'll see this year, but please don't make me see it again anytime soon, and please let me stop thinking about it now.
Trailers
  • Cedar Rapids--Came in in the middle of this one (this is what happens when you go with people), but it looks like another lame yuk-it-upper. But just the notion that a movie could be titled Cedar Rapids . . .
  • The Adjustment Bureau--And for this one I had to triangulate from stars Matt Damon and Emily Blunt because the projector went out of whack right before the title appeared (and twice during the film, by the way): looks like Amélie meets Bourne.

No comments: