21 January 2011

Blue-eyed Indian

Hombre

(1967)
Another of the '60s films I knew first as MAD magazine parodies--"Sombre," in this case. (I'm sorry I can't provide a link to that piece, but through the miracle of Wikipedia, I can at least tell you that it was issue no. 115, December 1967.)

The movie itself is essentially a slow-moving Stagecoach, except here the Apaches (mostly off-camera) are the good guys, victimized by the Gatewood-like Dr. Favor (played by Fredric March), and the menaces are just nasty white men (with a token Mexican). The goodest guy, of course--the pariah-with-a-heart-of-gold Ringo Kid role--is white by blood (with "limpid blue eyes," I can still recall from MAD) but Apache under the skin.

Not a bad film, but not one I need to own, so . . . anyone want it?

No comments: