09 January 2011

Getting the bugs out

Cronos

(1993)
Yes, I'm trying to deaccession DVDs this year, but this is one I've been wanting to own for some time, so even though I had to pay Criterion Edition prices when it was finally rereleased, I had to have it--notwithstanding that I now see it's available for streaming on Netflix.

This is how we met Guillermo del Toro, and elements of his signature are already in place: the child who can endure more shock than anyone at home in the real world ever could, the eerily beautiful visual style (including the museum-salon-style long rooms and hallways), the skewed-Catholic moral vision. And of course the fantasy universe that is partly from familiar myth but mostly from his own wonderfully weird imagination: here, vampirism enabled not by another vampire but by a machine invented by a 16th-century alchemist (did I hear someone's ears prick up there?).

Del Toro regular Federico Luppi plays the antique-shop owner who develops a taste for blood, and Hellboy-to-be Ron Perlman is the comical heavy. Oh, and Jabba the Hutt appears to have gotten a comeback gig as the larva that lives inside the machine and filters the blood.

No comments: