12 October 2014

Chasing Amy a bit farther

Since posting my review of Gone Girl, I've been thinking a lot about the film, in ways that even to describe would constitute a spoiler. So if you want to know what I've been thinking and don't need or want to avoid spoilers, I recommend Maureen Dowd's column today in the New York Times. Click here to read it; the criticisms of the film line up pretty solidly with what I have come to feel. She (supplemented by Gillian Flynn and Ben Affleck and David Fincher) supplies a powerful counterargument, though I'm not sure it convinces me.

In any case, it has been a while since a Hollywood flick has made my wheels turn as much as this one has, and if that's not a recommendation that you see it, I don't know what it. Then read the Dowd column.

No comments: