04 January 2013

Springtime

Cabaret

(1972)
Well, this was a no-brainer as soon as I saw that it had just cleared the 2-year threshold for DVR deaccessioning: an infinitely better representative of the personal-lives-playing-off-of-sociopolitical-watersheds musical genre than the one I saw last week, and a show whose latest Broadway incarnation featured the guy who carried today's earlier film.

I remember the first time I saw this, in a classic old movie palace in New Orleans, with my then-girlfriend (later first wife) Sue and an old friend of the family Katie (two ladies!). I also remember that the last time I saw it, which must have been close to a decade ago, if not more, I decided that it had run its course. The time off has revived it somewhat, but I still find it a collection of grade A songs wrapped in a C+ story. But oh, those songs!

No comments: