27 August 2011

The evil men do

No Country for Old Men

(2007)
Have I just gone completely senile? OK, thanks, but that was really sort of a rhetorical question, based on the fact that even though I rated this my favorite film (or at least my favorite English-language dramatic film) of only 4 years ago, I seem to have remembered relatively little about it. Which is a good thing, as it blew me away anew, but come on: I didn't even remember that Tommy Lee Jones, Kelly Macdonald, and Woody Harrelson were in it, and two of those are always among the people I'm happiest to see in a movie, and the third is often likewise.

What (and who) I did remember, of course, was Javier Bardem's Chigurh tracking Josh Brolin's Llewelyn Moss, inscrutable, inexorable evil matched against the survival instincts of native wit. And hell, I didn't even remember how that turned out. Maybe if I'd read the novel after seeing the film the first time, I'd have a better grip on it. And since I did buy the novel then, maybe I'll read it soon.

Or maybe I'll just let more brain cells die and be amazed by it again in 4 years.

No comments: