29 August 2010

Right-of-way

The Station Agent

(2003)
OK, seriously, look: I'm a misanthrope who likes trains and walks everywhere, and while I'm not technically a little person, I do feel just as impotent in the face of the forces of the universe as does Fin (Peter Dinklage). So why can't My Future Wife Patricia Clarkson nearly run over me in her vehicle (though of course I'd hope that in real life her vehicle would not be an SUV, even a smallish one, as here).

My god, I love this film--and yes, I chose it this evening because I needed some more Patty after today's Cairo Time, but Dinklage and Bobby Cannavale and Michelle Williams are also all indispensable, as is the score by my former neighbor Stephen Trask. It is, quite simply, exactly what independent film--screw that: what film, full stop--is supposed to be. And 99.9% of all films could take this hint from the final scene: leave 'em wanting more; leave 'em wondering more than knowing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have a new Future Wife?