23 May 2009

What they did

Every Little Step

Crit

Speaking as someone who knew so little about A Chorus Line that I would have said it was by Bob Fosse if anyone had asked, let me just say that even if this were just a metamovie about casting the 2006 Broadway revival of the show, it would be terrific.

What makes it even better than that is that it is in part sort of a biography of the show, going back to the 100 hours of reel-to-reel tape Michael Bennett recorded with friends and fellow denizens of the musical stage, then molded into the multiple Tony winner. The result, including the presence of two of those denizens, Baayork Lee and Donna McKechnie, who played not-at-all-disguised versions of themselves when the show opened in 1976, so enlivens the underlying text that I might (might) actually be interested in seeing it, and I haven't had any interest in seeing a stage musical not directed by my daughter since Hedwig and the Angry Inch was on Jane Street.

Trailers

No comments: