08 May 2009

Boldly going

Times Summer Movies section came out this weekend, but this year, instead of listing every freakin' movie coming this season, I'm just going to comment briefly on what looks promising and what looks like Bad Idea Jeans. I'll be updating as I go along.
Are you kidding me?
From the feature on Tony Scott's remake of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, cleverly titled The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3:
Mr. Scott admitted that before working on the movie — a retelling of John Godey’s best-selling New York City subway hostage thriller, made into a classic 1974 movie — he had never been in the subway. “Well, when I say never, I mean maybe once or twice quite drunk at night, when I couldn’t find a taxi,” said Mr. Scott, who was born in England and lives in Los Angeles. [posted 3 May]


Well, in fact,it looks as if there won't be multiple installments, just that one and this one: had time to read the section at lunch hours this week, had no time to post in the evenings. So . . .
Yes, I'll watch her
Maya Rudolph is featured in Five Scene-Stealers to Watch, and without having watched SNL during her tenure, I'm convinced just by the trailer for Away We Go, which, in case I haven't mentioned it, was shot in part in my neighborhood, and the façade of my very own building may be in it, not that that's a reason for it to be a 5 or anything.
Time to restart Netflix, I guess
Gee whiz, does every damned one of the upcoming DVDs highlighted sound great, or what? I saw the trailer for Killshot on a DVD (yeah, I watch the trailers on DVD sometimes; you got a problem w/ that?) and recognized it immediately as an Elmore Leonard novel I'd read, and figured the film must have been crap and gone straight to DVD. An assumption only slightly less than half right, apparently. Oh, and don't miss in the miscellany that My Dinner with Andre is finally returning to disc. And the wonderful adaptation of Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood, starring Brad Dourif and directed, according to the opening credits, by Jhon Huston.
My 5s, Jennie Tonic's 5s, and consensus 5s
(Colors behave with annoying consistency; if text is colored, that takes precedence, but if not, look closely at the bullets.)
My 4s, JT's 4s, and consensus 4s
(Opened before the section appeared)
(Opened since the section appeared)
(Not yet open)
OK, other things I was planning to list as questionable or execrable, but I've already spent far more time on this that I expected to, plus I'm depressed to seeing that my erstwhile best friend and I have almost nothing to discuss about movies anymore, so, basta.

No comments: