25 January 2014

Still batshit after all these years

The Rocket

Crit
What a jewel: an Australio-Laotian film about a purportedly cursed twin, mangos, unexploded American ordnance, and the biggest James Brown fan in Southeast Asia. Oh, and skyrockets, shot in competition and in appeasement of the gods, and in apparent defiance of the irony of the UXO that litters the land. And what a land, by the way: locations include Thailand as well as Laos, but good golly, how gorgeous the forests and the mountains. The Criterion originally had this listed as a Christmas opening, and I was considering it for that day; it would have been manifestly apt.

This was, by the way, my first film paid for by my new subscription to MoviePass, and while their guidance is less complete than it might be, I think I've pretty much navigated the learning curve now and will be able to use the service problem free henceforth. Thirty bucks a month, plus a $25 initiation fee, maximum one movie a day, 2D only. So at the moment my cost per movie is nearly $60, but that's going to decline pretty quickly. Thanks to Nancy for tipping me to this.

No comments: