17 January 2014

It's always heartwarming to see a prejudice

defeated by a deeper prejudice

Lone Star

(1996)
No, this wasn't one of those faux-deaccession-candidate screenings that I sometimes do on a Friday night. I was perfectly willing to have this film show me that I didn't need to see it again, but no, instead it reminded me that this is probably my favorite John Sayles film--a misdirection mystery that remains compelling even after the secrets are all familiar. Another thing that remains effective despite my anticipating it for the entire 2-hours-plus running time is the final line, one of maybe a dozen absolutely perfect last lines I know of in film. Anyway, no, you can't have my copy--but you can borrow it if you're close by, and if you've never seen this, you should.

No comments: