01 June 2013

Vincent Gallo ate my soul

2 Days in New York

(2012)
Oh, my. I really liked Julie Delpy's previous Woody Allenesque directorial effort, 2 Days in Paris, but I was totally unprepared to be so tickled by slapstick as I was tonight--and I would not describe myself as someone who generally responds happily to slapstick. The lunatic script, mostly by Delpy and , who plays Marion's lunatic sister Rose, is consistently hilarious, and somehow manages to stay tethered just enough to a recognizable reality.

Chris Rock is perfect as Marion's boyfriend Mingus, whose blackness contributes less to his sudden maddening outsider status than does his Americanness, in the face of visiting in-laws from what is apparently the strangest land on Earth. As was the case in the Paris flick, Delpy's father, Albert Delpy, plays Marion's endearingly goofy father; sadly, her mother, Marie Pillet, was not around for this one.

Just an unbelievable delight.

No comments: