23 June 2013

Nine-year itch

Compare/contrast discussion question: which film has the better rape joke?

This Is the End

Crit
Seriously, this has no right to be this funny. I mean, come on, an extended argument about uncontrollable semen strewing? How can that be hilarious? And yet.

Presumably in states where it's legal, the deluxe edition of the DVD will come with an ounce of weed, and then you won't even have to notice that it's overlong and has significant stretches of nonhilarity in the second and third acts.

Before Midnight

Crit
When I say that this lacks the conversational verisimilitude of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (and while we're here, I might as well tender my plea to whomever I lent my DVDs of these to: please! May I have them back?!), that shouldn't be taken as a criticism, or not a criticism that matters, or not a criticism that should get in the way.

These are probably not conversations that a couple would have all in one day. But they are conversations that they would have, or that they would desperately avoid having, over the past nine years, during which, unlike the nine years before that and the 20-odd before that, they have been pretty consistently together. In other words, this installment telescopes into a few hours the words that were automatically telescoped by circumstances in the previous films.

But what words. No matter what happens in the next nine years and subsequent nine-year spans, I want to spend as much time as I can with these people, and envying Jesse's opportunity to wake up next to CĂ©line, "hearing [her] think."
Trailers

No comments: