07 June 2013

All ye know on earth

Stories We Tell

Crit
Questions we ask:
  • what is documentary?
  • what is objectivity?
  • is there such a thing as objectivity?
  • if there's such a thing as objectivity, is it something to be valued?
  • is the purpose of art to get as close to truth as possible?
  • what is truth?
  • what is editing?
  • what's the relationship between truth and editing?
  • is it possible not to edit?
  • is covert manipulation of narrative morally superior to overt manipulation? artistically superior?
  • what if it's covert until the end, when it becomes overt?
  • are there different truths for different participants in a story?
  • does the central participant in a story own its truth?
I'm not going to post this at the time it's going to say I posted it, because I may think of some more questions, but I can answer one question right now: how much do I, as the father of a talented young filmmaker myself, love what has become of Sarah Polley's career since she's moved behind the camera, notwithstanding the fact that I didn't much like Take This Waltz. Thinking I might need to watch Away from Her this weekend; I've had it on the DVR hard drive for a while, trying to work up the courage.

No comments: