07 September 2012

Night of the jackal

Sleepwalk With Me

Crit
So, we're waiting for the movie to start, and we're talking about cast (yeah, I'd already told him my talking-to-Lauren Ambrose-at-Frank Pepe's story--wait, I haven't told you that story? Well, another time), and he mentions that Carole King is in it, which surprises me, because I'd never seen her in a film, which I say, which surprises him because he has, except it turns out he means Carol Kane, so yeah, of course, and I mention my favorite of the dozen or so films I've loved her in, even citing her character's name (Alison Porchnik) and quoting some dialogue, so that's why I was thinking of Annie Hall even before the film started.

Which made it really easy to see the debt this film owes that one: standup comic talking directly to us much of the time, telling a story about his inability to commit to the most wonderful woman he'll ever know. Except of course that this is lot less about general neurosis and more about the protagonist's chronic sleep disorder, apparently triggered by tension over the impossibility of the relationship.

An interesting film, and one that inevitably makes you wonder just exactly how autobiographical it is (mostly, apparently).

No comments: