31 August 2012

Ratiocination

Cosmopolis

Crit
Saturday morning tweak--do I really have to start balancing a notepad and pen on my knee in the dark? It's just one sentence, but it's a sentence I like.

Don't get into that limo--that guy is a vampire!!!!

OK, yeah, I know: it's really just Robert Pattinson playing a completely unrelated role . . . though it is true that he's a pale, light-averse bloodsucker. This is based on a Don DeLillo novel of which I read only the excerpt that appeared in the New Yorker, but the combination of DeLillo and Cronenberg may explain how it can be a comedy while looking nothing like a comedy and having almost nothing to do with comedy. It's Waiting for Godot for the Occupy age. It's a comedy punctuated with sex and violence (including a signature Cronenbergian microsecond image) and the longest prostate palpation in the history of cinema and (I hope) the world.

"But did you like it?" you want to know. Yeah, I'd kinda like to know that myself.

No comments: