25 August 2012

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters

Almost Famous

(2000)
Lots of people liked this better than I did when it was released, but the only other opinion I cared about was my daughter's: I thought I owed her another screening of a movie she loves.

And maybe now I owe her another, because I still didn't really connect with it, but it's also true that I was about as distracted as I've been in recent memory while watching a film.

This I'll say: I get intellectually, if not emotionally, why many love it, and I'll readily concede that the near-universal misperception that Kate Hudson was destined to become someone we'd long be thrilled to see on the screen is entirely understandable. But at bottom, I still find nothing surprising here, nothing that makes me see any of these familiar tropes in a new way. Sorry.

No comments: