29 May 2011

Mine shaft gap

Dr. Strangelove; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

(1964)
I don't have a lot of long patriotic war movies to watch on Memorial Day weekend, so I chose this Cold War flick. And I must say that while I find it mostly perfect, the Strangelove shtick in the final War Room scene has always left me cold: this film is way too smart to have to depend on comedy that in turn depends on physical handicap and a ridiculous accent. If we cut straight from Major Kong riding the nuke to the mushroom clouds and "We'll Meet Again," it would be OK with me, even though we would lose the great line whence this post's title.

And speaking of music, not even Bull Durham employs "Try a Little Tenderness" as well as Kubrick does in the plane-ographic opening titles here.

No comments: