20 May 2011

Like eyes upon us

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

Crit
Early on, Werner Herzog says something to the effect that the Paleolithic cave artists who are the focus of this film speak to us in a voice at the same time familiar and alien--and I thought, yes, and he has just described what makes his films, particularly his documentaries, so compelling to me. Who else would bring into the context of 30,000-plus-year-old art such pop culture references as Fred Astaire, Baywatch, and "The Star-Spangled Banner," each in perfect service of illustrating that alien familiarity?

Then there's the art, which is spectacularly moving--even in the 2D version that's the best I can do without a trip to the IFC Center. I had the good fortune to edit a book on Paleolithic cave art a couple of years ago, which I recommend as a companion to the film--or a substitute if it's not showing near you. From that experience, I suspect I know the central answer to "Why 3D?" Often the artists would exploiting the textures of the cave walls the better to shape the animals they depicted. Seeing that in 3 dimensions would be a lot cooler than Thor or the new Pirates of the Caribbean, I suspect.
Trailer
  • Buck--Documentary about a real live horse whisperer; looks wonderful.

1 comment:

Jennie Tonic said...

Just saw it in 3D, and, without 2D to compare it to, it seemed to me much more like I was standing there, as a tourist, which I'll never be able to do. So I think it was worthwhile. Still, I know that if I were truly standing in that cave, it would be unnerving and perhaps terrifying.

But yes, the art is fantastic! Dick Van Dyke should take lessons from these people--they know how to draw a horse.