11 March 2011

If music be the food of love . . .

Woman on Top

(2000)
Oh! That changes everything!

I was going to say that I watched this as a candidate for deaccession, but that I liked it enough--in spite of its elementary school plotting and logic in many spots--that I wasn't going to give it away but was instead going to offer it on indefinite loan to my daughter, who I suspect has not seen it but who I know would enjoy it.

But now I see it's available on Netflix for streaming, so it's the perfect DVD to give away (my daughter still getting first shot, of course), especially since I acquired it at a time when I was essentially snapping up everything I liked that Columbia House was offering cheap.

But why do I like it, even though objectively it's not very good? Well, it looks great, with Penélope Cruz moving from Bahía to San Francisco to live with her wildly gorgeous transvestite friend (Harold Perrineau Jr.) and cook even more wildly gorgeous food. It also sounds great--I listen regularly to the soundtrack on samba Sunday mornings, but I had forgotten how well the sound meshes with the look. And it has a load of heart. What it doesn't have is a suitor worthy of Cruz's Isabella, but that's a big ask.

No comments: