27 March 2011

The hairy ape

Human Nature

(2001)
Manohla and Tony wrote this weekend about revisiting films, well timed for me, as I had chosen to try again with the first Michel Gondry-Charlie Kaufman project, predating Spotless Mind. I didn't love this one when I saw it in the theater, and I guess I have to blame the person I saw it with for that gross misjudgment. It seems like I may have thought it too overtly didactic at the time, but anyone who takes the didacticism more than a hair seriously must have been raised in the wild. It is a brilliant satire--and by now I guess it's safe to call it an underrated one. But not by me anymore.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, we have to know who you saw it with.

Jennie Tonic said...

I think he saw it with me. But I'm not sure.

cheeseblab said...

No, but it doesn't really matter. I was just kidding about anyone's being to blame--it was just a where-my-head-was thing, I'm sure.