07 February 2010

Laika, lost in space

Mitt Liv som Hund (My life as a dog)

(1985)
Having avoided Lasse Hallström's latest in the wake of eviscerating reviews, I thought it was about time to see this one, which I missed when it was in the theaters a quarter of a century ago.

And my, yes, it's a keeper, not a weeper--a beautiful, unsentimental treatment of a boy's temporary, then permanent, loss of his mother--and his dog! Inexplicably, the only feature for Anton Glanzelius, who is devilishly-grinningly brilliant as the protagonist, Ingemar.

1 comment:

Deb said...

This was one of the first foreign films I ever saw and I remember how startled I was by the different pace . . . in a really GOOD way. Reading your notes made me remember the film, which I saw in a theatre on Manhattan's Upper West Side that has since been demolished. Lo these many years later I can still recall scenes in their entirety. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!