19 February 2010

If Alex Trebeck bought a nude painting of me . . .

Short Cuts

(1993)
An even more-sprawling-than-usual Robert Altman film, and another one of those multistory meditations on infidelity and death (which may in fact be the same thing), this one based on stories by Raymond Carver. And I don't know--the cast is great (including not only one of my Future Wives but three other Favorite Movie Women), each of the stories is compelling, and Altman is Altman--so why don't I love it as I love, say, Magnolia, which clearly owes a lot to this film's structure, including the climactic Big Natural (or maybe Unnatural, in the case of the later film) Catastrophe that pulls the rug out from under all the narratives?

I dunno, but I will say that it's a pretty good way to spend 3 hours.

No comments: