14 June 2008

Or 233 Celsius

Fahrenheit 451

WHC (1966)
Oddly, while I was waiting for the lights to go down, the novel I'm reading, James Carroll's Prince of Peace, arrived at the radical priests' draft-record destruction, what the Berrigans, the real-life sources, called, in mock apology, "the burning of paper instead of children." So I may not have been in a state of mind to get as riled about book burning as I usually would.

That said, this was not going to be a movie to get me riled over anything, except perhaps what I paid to get in--but it was free, part of a sci-fi film festival that is in turn part of the International Festival of Arts and Ideas.

Truffaut had previously cast Oskar Werner in Jules and Jim (currently #16 in my Netflix queue), and maybe the Vienna native could act in French, but he's positively early-Schwartzeneggerian in English. There's nothing interesting (distinct from odd, like the two roles for Julie Christie) here until the final few minutes, in the land of the book people, which is basically a less funny Python sketch.

No comments: