08 June 2008

Aka apatosaurus

Bringing Up Baby

(1938)

I should take another look at What's Up, Doc? When it came out, in 1972, it was one of the funniest films I'd ever seen; it wasn't until several years later, when I caught part of Baby on TV, that I realized where the best of it--including the characterizations of the in-over-his-head scientist and his ditzy would-be love interest--came from.

I'm always surprised to be reminded that this film isn't perfect onscreen (as it is in memory)--I could do without Barry Fitzgerald's drunken Mick shtick, e.g., and two or three fewer Charlie Ruggles double takes wouldn't hurt, either. But Hepburn and Grant are perfect, and watching this makes you wish they'd done a half-dozen screwballs together and makes you wonder why Kate in particular got so few opportunities to do physical humor.

No comments: