24 January 2008

Ticket stub and Gomorrah

  • Reign Over Me (3/31, Post 14)--Haven't we already seen Adam Sandler do this shtick in a much better film? I think I've seen all of Mike Binder I need to see.
  • GoodFellas (1990) (6/16, Crit)--Didn't see this when it was new, didn't see what all the buzz was about when I finally saw it on video, but yeah, it really does fit nicely between The Godfather and The Sopranos, doesn't it? But tell me: what does it say about Ray Liotta that his most notable role in the past five years is a self-parody in Bee Movie? That he's a good sport and doesn't take himself too seriously? Well, that's nice, but . . .
  • Dnevnoi Dozor (Daywatch) (6/15, Crit)--Holy fucking shit! Coolest car-action sequence ever, even though they gave it away in the trailer and I'd already seen it a dozen times, and coolest treatment of subtitles ever. (Can't remember: did Nightwatch (Nochnoi Dozor) do the same trick w/ the titles?) I'm in line already for Twilight Watch (Сумеречный дозор).
  • Gracie (6/2, Orange)--Yeah, it's completely clichéd and unsurprising, but the kid has an intensity that makes you believe it. Plus, it's football (no, not "football," football), and I'm a sucker for the beautiful game.
  • Knocked Up (6/2, Post 14)--Weirdest thing about this flick is that after I raved about it to my daughter and son-in-law, who, after all, introduced me to Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen via Freaks & Geeks, they didn't love it. Weirder still, they did love the much less interesting and much less funny Superbad. Who are these people? Anyway, right up there w/ The Simpsons Movie in terms of most-lung-tissue-laughed-up-for-2007.
  • La Vie en Rose (6/17, Crit)--Spectacular performance by Cotillard, and hey, you can't ever have too much Piaf, but I just felt like I'd seen this a zillion times before.
  • The Lookout (3/31, Orange)--Within reach of memorable, but ultimately just a speed bump in the 2007 cinematic highway. Mysterious Skin was supposed to be a breakthrough for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but he's just been treading water since. Geez! Just looked at his IMDb page--had no idea how long he'd been treading water before MS. Real deal or flash in the pan? At least one of those 2008/2009 projects had better show some serious shit.
  • The Hoax (3/31, Crit)--I like to think I'm not just a sexist asshole, but it's hard for me to think about this film without seeing Julie Delpy with her nightgown open. And she has a total of maybe three minutes of screentime. OK, but the movie, the movie: yes, Richard Gere's prosthetic nose is thoroughly believable, as are both alternative narratives. Well, OK, maybe not thoroughly. Hard not to compare this with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which I need to see again, I think.
  • Once (6/2, Orange)--Distracting, 'cause I know that guy, and his girlfriend too. But a lovely little film--the sort of thing that makes the death-defying roadside walk to Orange worthwhile, at the same time I'm pissed off it didn't come downtown. Also, what a star Dublin is in this--never wanted to go as much as right after seeing this.
  • Letters from Iwo Jima (1/21, Crit)--I've blurred this with Flags of Our Fathers to the extent that I was sure I'd seen this at Post 14, and that an alarm went off in the theater late in the film, and everyone ignored it, perfectly content to be burned alive rather than leave early. But no, that was the other one; and this one was maybe even better.
  • Waitress (5/13, Crit)--Call me a sentimental simp (you know who you are), but this worked on me from the get-go, even the goo-goo end-credits song. Guess I should see it again sometime and try to sort out how much the sad story behind the story pulled me along. Bonus question: who else first saw Keri Russell in Eight Days a Week? Film Fest New Haven, 1997, '98? Anyway, don't bother to rent it; I'm just showing off.

No comments: