06 January 2008

The Pardoner's Tale

Fargo

(1996)
You know, sometimes love fades.

When Fargo came out, I loved it so much that I went to the Oscar party as a wood chipper, complete with sawdust-encrusted bloody (nail polish thickened w/ Elmer's glue) foot. And I loved it for the next few screenings. Then love faded. And after I evolved from VHS to DVD, I wound up owning it only because it was offered at such a ridiculously low price it would have been sinful to refuse. But still, it had been years since I'd seen it.

And now . . . well, I wouldn't go so far as "love," but the big screen and the big sound (good god what a score!) bring me back at least to a state of infatuation. And of course there's also my Future Wife Frances McDormand (whose family, according to my sister-in-law, immediately preceded my brother's family in a rental house in Mt. Sterling, Ill., and little Frances supposedly occupied the room occupied afterward by Angie, my rock-star-to-be niece).

No comments: