20 March 2016

You really like me. Don't you?

Hello, My Name Is Doris

Crit
A heartbreaking tale of self-deception, or at least I'm sure it would have been (1) had I believed the dynamics of the Doris (Sally Field)-John (Max Greenfield) relationship for an instant and (B) had I not been distracted from beginning to end by the sheer creepiness of the narrative if the sex roles were reversed, with, say, Michael McKean as Dorian and Kate Mara as Jonelle. Yes, yes, yes, I get the inherent disparity of the potential for sexual violence, but stalking (electronic and physical) is stalking, and if women of a certain age are to have the same narrative opportunities as men of the same age have always had, they need to acknowledge creepiness parity.

Trailers
  • Genius--I can die happy: at last a film about an editor, with two English guys as Maxwell Perkins and Thomas Wolfe--oh, and I now see another as Hemingway and an Aussie as Fitzgerald. I tell ya, you let a Brit play Hank Williams, and everything goes tits up. 
  • The Meddler--Susan Sarandon in the empty-nested title role.

No comments: