25 January 2015

The Sword of Exact Zero

The Lego Movie

(2014)
I hate to admit that my son-in-law was right, but he told me that this was worth the bus ride out the Post Road to the cineplex in hell, and it would have been. Except for the last act: can't remember whether he warned that the brilliant, kinetic, verbal spectacular suddenly turns into a gooey splurt of sentimental Kragle down the stretch. But while it's regrettable that it couldn't close the deal, it had built up plenty of surplus goodwill by then.

Only voices I recognized: Liam Neeson's and (duh) Morgan Freeman's, though I assumed Shaq was Shaq. Oddly, I was pretty sure they'd gotten Michael Keaton and Adam West to do Batman and Bruce Wayne, respectively (both are in fact the wonderful Will Arnett), but that line of thinking didn't lead me anywhere near guessing that Lando Calrissian was voiced by Billy Dee Williams.

No comments: