23 August 2014

Grand illusion

Magic in the Moonlight

Crit
I see it clearly: a man and woman, not lovers but clearly on the heavily trod romcom road from mutual antagonism to passion. They run into an observatory to escape a rainstorm, and that interval accelerates their progress toward couplehood. Oh, wait: that's not the future I'm seeing; it's the past.

There's a good movie in here somewhere, maybe even an excellent movie, about faith and fakery and science, and given the excellent films Woody has made in recent years, I'm not about to suggest he's not the one to have found that better movie. But look, the guy is pushing 80. I'm sure he doesn't have sex as often as he did when he was 35; I doubt that he plays clarinet at Michael's Pub as often. Should he maybe think about making a film every other year rather than cranking them out as if they were coming off the GM assembly line? After all, even the GM assembly line is not as prolific as it was in the '70s.
Trailers

No comments: