04 November 2012

Tarantino and General Tso

Remember when I used to have a huge post for the NY Times' thrice-yearly big movie preview sections? Well, not gonna do that here, but I am going to give you links to the paper's round-ups of November, December, and January releases in the current Holiday Movies sections, and I'm gonna tell you briefly which flicks I'm hot for in advance.

In November, the biggie is Skyfall--and I do mean biggie, 'cause I'm renting a car next weekend, ostensibly for my farewell trip to Costco before letting my membership lapse, but also to facilitate getting to an Imax screening of the new Bond; I blame my  crush. Other probables: (duh), Barrymore (C. Plummer as? oh, yeah), Irvine Welsh's Ecstasy (Thanksgiving weekend M4?), (all on Ang Lee, not because I'm a fan of the book--never read it--or much of a fan of magical realism in general), (can I trust the Burns factor to bring it to New Haven, or should I include it in that M4?), and Beware of Mr. Baker (Ginger, i.e.; an unlikely probable, actually, since it opens right after my M4 and isn't apt to travel well).

All us pseudo-Jews will be going to see a brand-new movie on Christmas Day: I wouldn't rule out seeing at some point--especially as January looks typically wastelandish--but on the day, it has no chance against . Earlier in the month, I'm looking at  , and Michael Haneke's .

No comments: