30 March 2012

Bus stop

Ghost World

(2001)
This started to spread out from the LA/NYC openings in early August 2001, so I can't tell you whether it reached New Haven before 9/11, but I can tell you that it was a different world then anyway, a world in which Scarlett Johansson was still pretty much a kid, no pillowlips yet, and still capable of being a distant arresting-screen-presence second to Thora Birch (and what has happened to her since the promise of American Beauty and this?).

One of those films whose DVD I bought when I buying the DVD of anything I'd liked if it was cheap, but it turns out to be odd and depressing and good enough to keep, though if it were available to stream on Netflix, I was probably going to deaccession it as planned. Based on a comic book by the odd and depressing and good Daniel Clowes, cowritten by Clowes and director Terry Zwigoff--and Enid's artwork is by Sophie Crumb!

No comments: